Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, May 17, 2019

May 17 and 24, 2019


Week Six

I think this week's version may look like last week's version. 
I'm not quite sure what happened, chalk it up to my recent medical leave. 
But, there's new stuff in here and I hope you'll enjoy it!

Work: weeks 5-7






TEACHING RESOURCES



Some videos, with scripts and other resources, from VOA:


Lesson 1: Budget Cuts

Some resources for Memorial Day: ELCivics.com

Here are some suggestions from Harlem/Washington Heights teacher Elke Stappert:

1. Linguahouse.com has great lesson plans and material for a variety of work subtopics, from "job hunting" to "what to wear at work." Click HERE


2. Thank you for the Music!
The 12 most iconic songs about work
Click HERE for the link.
Suggestion: Choose a song. Pre-teach 7-9 lexical chunks/expressions before you listen. Ss write the expressions on cards. In groups, listen to the song, in small groups Ss try to grab the card when they hear the expression.


3.  Click HERE for WORK CONVERSATION QUESTION CARDS
(for intermediate and advanced level)
* What's better? Working alone or in a team?
* Would you like to have your own business?
Activity: Print one set, cut cards. Each student gets one card. Students mingle. Find a partner. Talk about your two questions for 4 minutes. Exchange cards, find new partners, repeat.


4. WORK, WORK, WORK - in/at/with???

Click HERE for worksheet.


  • I work at (a company).                           I work at Burgerking.
  • I work for (a company / a person)         I work for Donald Trump.
  • I work in (a place)                                  I work in New York.
* I work with (people / things)                  I work with children.


TEACHER READING



Do you think adults can achieve native-like fluency in a second language? The academics have always said no.

MIT Scientists prove adults learn language to fluency nearly as well as children. Click HERE for the article.





SHOWCASE

Here's part 2 of  NYU's Literacy Review Dinner!
A wonderful time was had by all. Great student writing (and food).
Washington Heights student Lirian Melchior

Michelle Lopolito, Ken English, Sandra Ham, Elke Stappert, Diana Vayserfirova

WH student Lirian Melchior with teacher Elke Stappert

Elke and a wonderful view


Ruby Taylor McBride, Michelle Lopolito, Ken English

Pat Lynden with her student

Terry Sheehan, Eric Rosenbaum

Lower Manhattan in the house! Ivana Ferguson, Kathryn Bonn

 Vinicius de La Rocha who was a student at Aguilar, reading his piece, THE VOWS

This is Vinicius' wife Mariana after he read his "VOWS" and 
threw in "I love you" at the end. It was sweet!


Vinícius de La Rocha, Manal Grant and

Danielle Abreu from KP, Stephanie Burnes and Michele Persaud

Stephanie Burnes and Michele Persaud



Please send me pictures, and be sure to include the branch name and level. I need them by the end of the business day on Wednesday. If I already have enough submissions for the week- that just means your pictures will be published the next week. Personally, I think the pictures that you share are the best part of the blog.


Thank you! elizabethschade@nypl.org

CALENDAR
May 25, 26, 27- NYPL CLOSED
June 4: EID (Some students may be absent)
June 30: Spring term ends

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Understanding language acquisition patterns in your learners

Our second
Facebook Live session 
will cover the language acquisition patterns in different types of learners. Our experts, Brigita Seguis and Thomas Booth, will be discussing the cognitive processes of children, teenagers and adults when learning and speaking a second language.
What: Bilingual learners, bilingual brains: language acquisition patterns in different types of learners
When: Wednesday 22 May, 14.00 BST
Where: Cambridge English Teaching Facebook page
If you’re unable to attend the live session, the recording will be available in the videos section of our Facebook page and our YouTube channel shortly afterwards.
Like our Cambridge English Teaching page to get daily information and support.

TECH TIPS

Great tips from "The Digital Teacher" Website:

Training videos, practical tips and lesson plans



You can start using today – tap into the technology at your fingertips and transform your teaching. Click HERE




TEACHER HUB is a weekly blog of resources and information for instructors and staff of the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and Adult Literacy (ABE) programs of the New York Public Library in the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island

No comments:

Post a Comment