Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

3/5/19 Talk To Me Tuesdays

Talk to Me Tuesdays:



I found this blog post fascinating, so I'm going to copy/and paste right here!

You can add a genitive ’s to a preposition in English

by Joe McVeigh

A couple of weeks ago, Dr. Gwen Rehrig tweeted a poll to ask if this sentence is acceptable to American English speakers:
Is this sentence acceptable to other native American English speakers 🤔?:
"The lady I was just talking to's mother is a famous author."
— Dr. Gwen Rehrig (@grehrig) February 11, 2019
As you can see, over 80% of people said it was either definitely or possibly acceptable. I replied that every single student in my grammar class said “Nooope. No way.” when I asked them. 🙂
But hang on, is that sentence unacceptable in Standard English? Read more of this post

Leave a comment and read what your colleagues have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment