A blog for the professional development of instructors in the Adult English Language and Learning Program of the New York Public Library.
A place to gather and share resources for teaching.
Adult Learning Centers, NYPL
Tuesday, October 16, 2018
10/16/18 Talk to Me Tuesdays
Talk to Me Tuesdays: Let's have a conversation by answering the question below. Leave a comment and read what your colleagues have to say! How is your class going so far? What's going well? What challenges do you face?
Esteemed NYPL Teachers. I hope that you find this forum useful. Thanks to Elizabeth for her diligent curation of this communication tool. I hope to read about your successes and challenges and look forward to working together toward a successful Fall cycle. With sincere admiration. Ken English
I face the same two challenges in every class, every cycle. First, is having them truly understand their part in the learning process. Regardless of how many times I tell them, or how much time we spend on the ideals of "learning to learn," many of my students do not study/practice/use English at home, and thus they are not advancing as quickly as they would like to advance.
The second challenge I face is how many times my students do not really understand what they need. Oftentimes students will scoff at a lesson on the verb to be, but then continually omit it when speaking.
Despite this, my classes are going well. My students seem to be eager to learn and are engaged in the learning process.
Thanks Elizabeth and all for all the good resources. I like the list of civics objectives, good food for thought. I'm including a resource that I use from time to time. It's a lesson on the 3 uses of apostrophes (a finer but interesting point) and has a fun tie-in to Hallowe'en and Jack o' lanterns. See: https://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/halloween.html Happy Halloween to all!
Esteemed NYPL Teachers.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you find this forum useful. Thanks to Elizabeth for her diligent curation of this communication tool. I hope to read about your successes and challenges and look forward to working together toward a successful Fall cycle.
With sincere admiration.
Ken English
I face the same two challenges in every class, every cycle. First, is having them truly understand their part in the learning process. Regardless of how many times I tell them, or how much time we spend on the ideals of "learning to learn," many of my students do not study/practice/use English at home, and thus they are not advancing as quickly as they would like to advance.
ReplyDeleteThe second challenge I face is how many times my students do not really understand what they need. Oftentimes students will scoff at a lesson on the verb to be, but then continually omit it when speaking.
Despite this, my classes are going well. My students seem to be eager to learn and are engaged in the learning process.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elizabeth and all for all the good resources. I like the list of civics objectives, good food for thought.
ReplyDeleteI'm including a resource that I use from time to time. It's a lesson on the 3 uses of apostrophes (a finer but interesting point) and has a fun tie-in to Hallowe'en and Jack o' lanterns. See: https://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/halloween.html Happy Halloween to all!