Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

6/3/2020

Wednesday, June 3, 2020




How are you today?







 Something To Consider- from Stephanie Burnes

Dear AELL Colleagues, 

As some of you know, I’m from Minneapolis. Specifically, I am from the neighborhood where George Floyd was murdered. It has been incredibly painful, though necessary, to watch what systemic racism and white supremacy have wrought on my community and our nation. I graduated from South High School in that neighborhood, I worked at the YWCA on Lake Street just down from the 3rd Precinct and the Target store, and later I lived on Chicago Avenue and 26th Street and taught at Andersen United Community School, the neighborhood’s preschool–8th-grade school. The school serves more than 1,000 students and those students and their families are struggling hard right now. The school's social workers are collecting donations to go directly to the students and families. I know that you are all passionate educators (and education-adjacent people) who care very deeply and so I’m asking, if you are able, to consider donating to the students of this school. This is being done via one of the social worker’s Venmo, so I can’t share a public link, but if you are able and would like to give, please reply to me and I will send you the details. 

Here are a couple of other local donation opportunities as well:
CANDO – A resident-led, community-driven organization
We Love Lake Street – This fund will go directly to small businesses and nonprofits on Lake Street to help them rebuild. 
Little Earth Residents Association – Little Earth is an indigenous community located in the area

Thank you all for your consideration, your kindness, and most importantly for doing the critical work that you do. 

With love and solidarity,

Stephanie

Stephanie Burnes
Adult English Language and Literacy Hub Manager









Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment