Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, February 10, 2017

February 10, 2017




Week FOUR

HEALTH (last week)





TEACHING RESOURCES

Upper Intermediate Listening- How to Eat a Healthier Diet

Body Idioms - Matching and Gap Fill Activity




Health – Accidents at Work

Ventures 2  has good activities about sequencing and work accidents (p.52/53). We created 2 accident report forms in one word doc (see below, download Word doc or PDF on the health-wiki: alc-health.wikispaces.com)

Option: Have a role play for a speaking activity in pairs: Phone Call - one student is the worker who had the accident, the other student is the insurance representative. Describe step by step what happened.

If you're also doing WANY - Asthma the Soap Opera and your students are into overly dramatic acting like mine are... these role plays are a lot of fun. (Elke)
Links to Asthma - in 3 parts on YouTube are on the WANY-Wiki:
alc-wany.wikispaces.com/Asthma-The+Soap+Opera






Reading about Learning
Check out these articles from the Australian “informED” blog:
             Adult Literacy: Better Reading Comprehension: How to Speed-Read, and Some Life-Changing Literature to Improve Your Life
                20 Ways to Learn More Efficiently (Useful tips for teachers and students)



Students in Marina Bekkerman's class at Mid-Manhattan made posters of health idioms. Please email me if you would like to share work from your students!








EDMODO- second call!

At our ALC All-Staff meeting, Jean Choi shared her knowledge and use of the website Edmodo and encouraged us to use it with our groups. I was personally very inspired by her presentation. In Staten Island, teachers Julie Romacker and Joanne Springstead are using it- and I hope others are too!

I created a group for NYPL teachers so that you can give it a try if you'd like. Remember, this is for teachers only. You can share resources there, or simply say hello. I've been uploading activities you can copy and do with your class.

This is what your colleague David Fobair had to say about Edmodo:

I love it. We just fully started with the app last night. I'd say about a third of my students took to it right away and replied to my initial posts. I've always included weblinks on the handouts of my class activities but now by posting the links on Edmodo students can click right though to the link. I feel more ss will now access the links. By viewing the links it's great prep or review. I also created an 8 word vocabulary sheet w terms about social media (and Edmodo). I put Edmodo up on the screen to show them, but by then most students were viewing the app on their phones. I'm happy to share anything upon request. I'll keep you posted. I'd love to hear what others are doing too.

You can join by using the code below, or by emailing me directly: elizabethschade@nypl.org





ACADEMIC READING



The NYS TESOL Journal is a biannual online academic journal focused on the education of English language learners. Read the latest edition here: NYS TESOL Journal


PROFESSIONAL OPPORTUNITY





Inclement Weather

I suggest that if you have not signed up for e-alerts you do so. Here are the various ways you will receive information:

We employ a variety of methods by which we communicate with staff in the event of a weather or other emergency that impacts operations:   
·  Staff who have registered up for NYPL's E-Alert system through Workday will receive a text or voice message on their cell phone; 
o for instructions on how to sign up for the E-Alert System, please view our short on-line tutorial (WD-01 Signing Up for E-alerts) in the Bridge Learning Management System
·  An e-mail will be sent to every employee's NYPL G-mail account;
·  The NYPL telephone hotline 212-391-2990 will be updated with current information; and
·  The staff notification website (staff.nypl.org) will be updated with current information.





No comments:

Post a Comment