Week 11:
Family/Friends
What if
you think you have the perfect lesson plan, but it's not working the way you
envisioned it? Been
there?
This article discusses class opening and closing routines for new teachers. They
might also help “old teachers” to keep students engaged :)
From the TESOL blog, check it out –
Grid on the
Board / Swap Chairs / Truth or Lie (Present Perfect) / Tarot Cards (Future
Tense
AE Webinar 4 6 - Classroom 2.0: Tools for Digital Learning
This webinar is part of the "American English” webinar series sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. For more resources to teach and learn English, visit http://americanenglish.state.gov
In this webinar, we will investigate terminology associated with digital learning, and we will consider how to evaluate and select tech tools for the EFL classroom. We will then explore several digital tools teachers can use to support students, deliver content, and create engaging activities in both face-to-face and distance learning contexts. New to digital learning? No problem! Our presenter will share ideas and tools appropriate for teachers with all levels of experience in English Language Teaching.
|
CLASS
PROJECT - "FAMILY"
Maybe you want to try something similar with your class?
If you have a large class, you may want to change it into a partner activity, to increase student talking time. Students mingle (and have their photos with them) and find a partner. Partners talk about their families and show each other photos. Change partners, repeat.
FROM: Myrna Holguin, Harlem Teacher
I would like to share a
project my beginner students did this week. They emailed family
pictures to me and wrote sentences about their families. I projected
their pictures on the screen and they took turns speaking to the class about
their family. They practiced presenting to students at their table
first before they spoke to the class. They showed pictures of weddings,
birthdays, graduations and holiday celebrations. A few students got emotional
and it was nice to see how the class supported them with hugs and encouraging
words.
|
TEACHER INTERVIEW
Do you know what a pupusa looks like? Can you name 5 places to have fun in the Bronx?
Read this week's teacher interview below and find out...
8 Questions for…
Elizabeth (Lizz) Kaune
(Teacher at Bronx Library Center)
BACKGROUND
1. Where are you from
and what brought you to NY?
I was born in New York City.
I grew up in Massachusetts. I
came back to go to Fordham University. I left again to live in El Salvador
for almost 2 years. I decided to come
back specifically to live in the Bronx.
I started to learn a lot about the community around me when I was a
student at Fordham right around the time I graduated. I decided that when I came back to the
United States, I wanted to live in the Bronx to experience life here as a
part of the community.
2.
When did you decide you wanted to be an ESOL/Adult Literacy teacher?
Why?
When I came back, I got a job in Bushwick,
Brooklyn and I commuted 3 hours every day.
I knew Brooklyn on foot because I was a community outreach
worker. I felt very disconnected from
the borough where I lived so a friend suggested I volunteer at the
library. That is when I met Barbara (Barbara
Martinez, BLC Lead Instructor) and she welcomed me into the Literacy program
as a tutor. It was a great experience
for me and the students, but I knew that I had NO IDEA what I was doing. I knew that I liked it a lot better than my
day job. So, I decided to get a TESOL
certificate and see if I could make it my real job.
TEACHING
3.
What is the biggest challenge and the most rewarding thing for you as an
Educator?
4.
Do you have any special story you would like to share about a student or a
class?
This probably answers question 3 and…
When I started teaching ESOL at BLC in 2012, I
had a student, a young woman, from West Africa. She didn’t know how to read or write or
speak any English. She did speak a
little French so there were times when I wanted to explain a word to her, I would
say it in Spanish and hope the French word sounded similar. At the time, I was also a student at Hunter
College so I had more free time than I do now. I would meet with her before class or after
class or on a day off to try and help her in any way I can. I would look for literacy handouts and try
to teach her the alphabet. She would
try so hard to understand me and I would try so hard to teach her. There was another student in the class who
also spoke French and she would try to help her too. She has moved through our program from ESOL
to ABE. She may have also taken an
ESOL/Literacy class too. Within a year
or two of coming to New York, she was able to do a training in a home health
aide program and then she got a job! I couldn’t believe it! She has also gained more confidence and
made some changes in her personal life (I won’t go into detail because other
teacher might know who I am talking about).
She knows how to use her smart phone and she now helps other
students. I just can’t believe how
much can be achieved in so little time.
I can’t imagine what that must feel like. And there is so much more to come.
5.
Is there any specialized English class you would like to teach?
I really like teaching the Civics theme
because I always learn something new.
I also think the students who cannot attend the citizenship class
(because of a conflict in their schedule) really appreciate the time we take
to learn about U.S. government and history.
Classroom Tips
6.
How do you encourage students to practice English outside of class?
I give homework that forces students to talk
to other people in English. Usually
their homework is to ask other people questions using the language that we
used in class that day. For example,
today we were using the present continuous so their homework is to call or
text their friends, family members, or classmates and ask them “What are you
doing right now?” and then they will write down the answers.
In the past I have also told students to watch
the news in English every day between their Thursday class and the next
Tuesday class to take notes on the weather.
Or they can just watch the news and write about what the newscasters
are wearing if we are talking about clothing or colors. (She is wearing a blue and black
dress. He is wearing a gray suit).
If we are talking about directions or
prepositions of location, I tell the students to ask people where things are
at the supermarket or on the street.
What nobody knew...
7.
What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have a Black Belt in Karate?
A secret recipe or amazing pet? Won an award?
When I used to have free time….
I would play soccer (pick up games) or try
something like capoeira. I used to go
dancing. Sometimes I would paint or
sew. I love going to the beach. I make a really good margarita.
And then I had a baby, Irie, and I don’t do
any of that anymore. Irie is turning 2 in January. She
started speaking in full sentences in Spanish and almost full sentences in
English. She sings a lot in English because she hears more songs and
nursery rhymes from my mother. Watching a child learn language is
fascinating. Most of it is repeating and then they start forming their own
sentences and you can't believe what they come up with. In an elevator a
woman was standing close to me and she apparently did not like that so she
said "No toques Mami, senora!" which means "Don't touch Mami,
lady!" She is very outgoing with adults and children and finally
has learned to be gentle with babies. Soon Irie will be old enough to do all the things I used to do
with me – I am looking forward to that!
8.
What is your favorite place / activity in NYC?
I don't know if these are my favorite
places... but they are places I spend a good amount of time visiting...
1. The
New York Botanical Garden - the
one in the Bronx :)
2. Arthur
Ave - great Italian food, you an get homemade ravioli, pasta, all kinds
of cheeses, there is an open market with great delis and a "beer hall"
inside. There is a great playground too where we take Irie when we go
over there to shop. There are bakeries and pastry shops.
4. There are a few new Bengali restaurants on
Bainbridge Ave - MOJA is one of them
5. Van
Courtlandt Park is fun - you can watch people play cricket!
6. Lloyds
is a small bakery on broadway and 242nd that has really good carrot cake. i
think that is the only thing they make
7. Garden
Gourmet is a supermarket that people travel from all over to visit
8. White
Plains road has great Caribbean
food
9. La Cabana Salvadorena has great Salvadoran
food – pupusas!
|
To make our blog more useful for all we need to know what you’re interested in.
Please let us
know. And – contributions are welcome! :)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Elizabeth & Elke















from Stephanie Cimino (Staten Island teacher)
ReplyDeleteJust some feedback -- I really like class project on family and am thinking of using a modified version for the last class of the semester. It would lead into the party very well.
And the teaching tips from the interview on using English at home were very helpful, as well!
Thanks,
Stephanie