Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, November 18, 2016

November 18, 2016


Week 9 – Family & Friends



THANKSGIVING SCHEDULE

Wednesday 11/23 - NO CLASSES (all day)
Thursday 11/24 - gobble gobble
Friday 11/25 - NO CLASSES, NO TEACHER HUB blog
Saturday 11/26 - NO CLASSES




TEACHING RESOURCES
Please let us know what resources/tips you'd like to see in our December blogs.

Because this looks like fun:
From the Voice of America website: Improve Your Pronunciation By Taking Selfie Videos



Many of us have a preference for the way we learn – either by watching an expert or having a go ourselves. Is this the easiest way for us to learn things? 

Read the full blog post here: Do We Have a Preferred Style of Learning?



 THANKSGIVING




NYT: United States of Thanksgiving - a list by the New York Times of signature Thanksgiving dishes from each state.

History of Thanksgiving- a YouTube video by the History Channel, less than 4 minutes

Readworks.org: Thanksgiving Texts- passages for K-12 that you could adapt

Busy Teacher: Thanksgiving Gap Fill, and BT: The Origins of Thanksgiving - gap fill worksheets from busyteacher.org



A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (link to video - click here)












Download the transcript of the video and gapfill exercise on the Traditions Wiki: 
alc-traditions.wikispaces.com/Thanksgiving




From Wakefield Hub Manager Eric Rosenbaum and colleagues at CUNY

 

Descriptive, Analytical and POV questions:

A.      What do you see in this picture?
         What do you think is going on in this picture?
         What do you see that makes you say that?

B.      Pull back the camera: What do you think is going on in the big picture of America 
         that the Statue of Liberty in this image is responding to?
        What do you see in the news that makes you say that?

C.     What do you think the graphic designer of this is saying with this image?

D.     If the statue of Liberty could talk, what would she say to you now?
        If you could talk to her, what would you tell her?




FROM HARLEM TEACHER MARINA BEKKERMAN

Hello everybody,

Below are two photos of my HL L3-4 class with a gratitude tree that we made today as part of a Thanksgiving-themed activity, which also included writing and sharing sentences (I'm grateful for...). The other photo is if the finished tree.  My students really enjoyed this activity. 

Best,
Marina






FROM HARLEM TEACHER MYRNA HOLGUIN

Dear colleagues,

I would like to share a lesson from my HL 5-6 class on the NYPL teacher's blog.  My students made oral presentations and shared information about their native country's flags and national anthems.  Students who were from the same country presented together.  I encouraged these students to collaborate outside of class and decide the roles they would take in their presentations.   

Students talked about their flag's origins, the symbolism, and the changes in the flag's design.  They played a few verses of their country's national anthem and talked about the meaning of the song.  They translated some verses in English and some even sang their national anthem to the class.  Students were very respectful of everyone's national anthem and stood up to honor each song. Many students made PowerPoint presentations.

One of my volunteers, Terry Schwadron, helped with the technological aspect of the presentations.  He played the slides as the students spoke to the class.  The presentations helped build a greater sense of community among the students.

Below are some photos and a student PowerPoint presentation.


Myrna








PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT


Dear New York ESL community,

We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting proposals for Columbia University’s American Language Program (ALP) Winter Conference. 

The theme for this year's conference is 
Pronunciation Pedagogy:
Integrating Pronunciation into Communicative Activities.  
The conference will be held at Columbia University’s Faculty House on Saturday, February 25, 2017, from 9:30 AM to 6 PM

The conference is a professional development event for practicing TESOL educators, researchers, and graduate and doctoral students aimed at enriching their pedagogical practice in teaching pronunciation.
We welcome proposals from our colleagues at all New York area universities, colleges and schools, and we are interested in receiving proposals that focus on:
· interactive approaches to teaching individual sounds, stress, rhythm, and intonation
and
· approaches to integrating target pronunciation into communicative activities. 
We are especially interested in novel approaches and techniques with practical applications.
These types of presentations may include:
    •  teaching monolingual groups
    •  teaching multilingual groups
    •  scaffolding pronunciation lessons from focused practice to free production
    •  teaching pronunciation to specific levels of language learners
    •  using technology to effectively teach pronunciation
    •  setting pedagogical priorities based on research and/or the recent literature

We are looking for presentations that are 40 minutes long.
There will also be an option to present for 10 minutes on one specific activity, use of technology, or skill that can be shared very briefly. 

Please use the following Google form to submit a proposal: http://bit.ly/2017ALPWinterConferenceProposalSubmission
Proposals must be received by January 13, 2017.
In the meantime, feel free to contact us if you have questions or if you would like more information about the conference.

Best regards,

Christopher Collins (cc3651@columbia.edu)
Polly Merdinger (pbm1@columbia.edu)
Brittany Ober (bo2212@columbia.edu)



TEACHER INTERVIEW

10 Questions for Manal Grant, Aguilar Lead Teacher

BACKGROUND
Where are you from and what brought you to NY?
I was born in New York, but raised in Southern California, San Diego.. I came back to the East Coast for school, and to New York to attend graduate school.

When did you decide you wanted to be an ESOL/Adult Literacy teacher?  Why?   
It is a great way to travel and learn. Initially I intended to learn a couple of Non-Indo-European languages to get into a PhD program in Art History, which required knowledge of several foreign languages. I fell in love with teaching and voila! (I still dream of getting that PhD in Art History, though).

Have you ever taught in another country? How has that shaped you as a person and as a teacher? 
I have taught in Japan and Taiwan. I learned Mandarin and Japanese, but I also learned how to eat pretty much everything. So I became an epicure first, and second, I became aware of how teachers are so highly revered in Asia compared with in the U.S.


Teaching in Japan and Taiwan - is the curriculum and class activities as strict as one would expect? Were you able to include student centered activities? What was it like?
Japan and Taiwan are very different from each other. But both countries value education highly. Their textbooks tend to be politically censored, especially in Japan (as indeed they can be in the USA). But in English classes (communication classes) in both countries, student centered activities are commonplace. I felt free to teach the content I wanted using current best practices. 

TEACHING
What is the biggest challenge and the most rewarding thing for you as an Educator? 
After the recent election, I feel our work is more important than every, and the sense of urgency to learn is evident in our students, too.





Do you have any special story you would like to share about a student or a class?
I have a class an NRS 5/6 class at Aguilar, where there is great chemistry among students. Somehow they always understand my jokes, too. Anyway, this week we finished the Civics unit by studying about Abraham Lincoln and his time. Attached is a photo of a student hamming it up while sorting out Free and Slave states on the map by color.


Is there any specialized English class you would like to teach?
I really enjoy teaching the American Short Stories elective at Aguilar. I’d love to teach a pronunciation class.

CLASSROOM TIPS
How do you encourage students to practice English outside of class? 
I tell them to let others know they are learning English, to ask for patience, and to express lack of understanding in positive terms. Instead of, “I don’t understand…” they could try, “Excuse me, what?”, or, “Please bear with me, I’m learning English, could you repeat that.” etc. etc. I also tell them that the process never ends—that their English will always be improving.

WHAT NOBODY KNEW…
What is your favorite place / activity in NYC?
I enjoy checking out new restaurants and riding along the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway.
When I crave sushi I go to Kanoyama, which just received a Michelin star.  Carma Asian Tapas has delicious Taiwanese and Chinese dishes. Gabriel Kreuther (Bryant Park) is great fine dining for a special occasion. Recently his chocolate shop opened, so I'll be checking that out soon. Priorities! 

How often do you cycle? What's your bike like?
I usually cycle about twice a month, renting a bike from Master Bike Shop :) 





What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have a Black Belt in Karate? A secret recipe or amazing pet? Won an award?  
I paint and draw and love dance. I love drawing dancers. I've always drawn and painted; I majored in art as an undergrad. I love to do figure drawings, and dancers are challenging and fun to draw. Here's a sketch, pen and ink (work in progress) of a tankga style ornate drawing. I recently studied this technique with a master here in New York and it has been challenging and rewarding, a very different way of drawing. 

Who are your favorite artists?
Jeff Koons, Aubrey Beardsley, Lucien Freud. Too many to mention...




SHOW US THE LOVE!
One of the only ways we can know if you like what we are doing is if you make a comment on our blog page. Like our blog? Are there topics you would like us to add? Please comment! 

Would you like to contribute something? A link, teaching tip, other? Any time!

Thank you, we really appreciate your feedback!

Have a great week!!!

Elizabeth & Elke


No comments:

Post a Comment