Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Monday, June 13, 2016

June 13, 2016

WEEK 8
DAILY LIVING - COMMUNITY SERVICES



TEACHING RESOURCES

This document from the Minnesota Literacy Council has a lot of resources. Whatever our theme is, there is a story here to fit. Please see the example snapshot below and have a look at the PDF!
PDF: ESL Story Bank




RUBRICS



Do you use them? I often encourage teachers to use them.
One example that comes to mind is when a student is giving a mini-presentation- what are the other students doing while the presenter is speaking?
They (listeners) could be rating the speaker's pronunciation- as you see in this picture.
The other point I wanted to make: rubrics don't have to be complicated. Choose three or four things to rate, and make the scoring simple- 0/1/2, for example.

Elizabeth




GOOGLE HELP

This week will feature a presentation I attended at the TESOL Convention in Baltimore in April. Titled "Google and Beyond," the presentation has useful information about using Google in the classroom, along with other apps that you might find interesting. 

This was one of the most useful seminars I attended. I'll share the Google Slide presentation here: Google and Beyond
Elizabeth




Share your warm-up activities here! This one comes from a colleague in Staten Island:

Missing Flashcard: All job flashcards are taped to the board and students close their eyes. One flashcard at a time is removed and the students open their eyes and guess the name of the missing job title (or whatever vocabulary you are reviewing). The first student to guess correctly comes up to the board and he/she removes the next flashcard, etc.



ROSETTA STONE NEWS


Please note-
We will not continue with Rosetta Stone next cycle.
Students who have private accounts will be able to use them until June 30, 2016.

We will be in touch in upcoming blogs and in the summer with information on how to use MANGO LANGUAGES, an English learning program on NYPL's website, and a few other online options.



PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - NYS TESOL CALLING!

An evening of short tech tips for the classroom! (St. Agnes teacher Neal Smith shared this)

$10 for NYS TESOL members, non-members $15

Tech in Ten! A NYS TESOL NYC Region Event
Wed, June 22, 2016, 6-8pm
Baruch College, CUNY, 55 Lexington Avenue


Tech in Ten!  A NYS TESOL NYC Region Event
June 22, 2016- 6pm-8pm| Baruch College, CUNY


Learn novel ideas for incorporating technology into your classes in this fast-paced and dynamic event! Each presenter has ten minutes to demonstrate a tech tool for ESL education, followed by a short Q&A.
Learn, share and network at the reception after the presentations.  
Advance Registration Due to Space Limitations
NYS TESOL Members: $10
Non-Members: $15
For more information, please contact nyc@nystesol.org 



TEACHER INTERVIEW 

10 QUESTIONS FOR: David Fobair

David teaches an NRS 3-5 class at the Melrose Library in the Bronx. 



BACKGROUND
1. Where are you from and what brought you to NY?  I’m a Midwesterner at heart.  I was born in a small town in Nebraska and raised in Minnesota.  I came to New York many years ago to study acting for a summer program at Circle In The Square. However, I liked New York so much I ended up staying here. 

2. When did you decide you wanted to be an ESOL/Adult Literacy teacher?  Why?  
    Well, I considered teaching when I was in my early twenties while in college.  I even thought I’d teach English with the Peace Corps in Japan.  I wish I had followed that path.  Most likely, it would have connected me to my love of languages and teaching a lot sooner.  It was however, in 2010 that I decided to test the waters as an ESOL teacher.  I started volunteering and found that I liked teaching very much.  I completed a teaching certificate that year, and then I went to The New School and graduated with a MA TESOL in 2014. 

3. Have you ever taught in another country? How has that shaped you as a person and as a teacher?   I have not taught in another country but always wanted to.  I have however studied Spanish in Peru, Costa Rica, and Spain, and French in France.  These experiences reinforced my love of languages. I love travelling.
In India, 2014

TEACHING
4.            What is the biggest challenge and the most rewarding thing for you as an Educator?  You don’t become a teacher overnight.  When one observes a teacher it might look easy.  However, until you’ve taught you can only imagine how much education, training, and preparation it takes to be a proficient teacher.  One of the biggest challenges, but also one of the most rewarding, is to continue to grow, learn and improve as a teacher.

5.            Do you have any special story you would like to share about a student or a class?  I have learned so much from my students.  They have taught me as much or more than I could have imagined. I’m continually struck by their commitment to learn and for some, the struggles they have endured in order to have the opportunities that are often taken for granted.

6.            Is there any specialized English class you would like to teach? I would like to teach a project-based class.  I really like the idea of learning while creating.  In particular, I like digital storytelling where students write a short personal story and film it.  Through workshops, I’ve seen some of these projects and I’m always moved by the power of our individual stories.  Note to self, try to incorporate more small projects through-out the cycle!  J

CLASSROOM TIPS
7.            How do you encourage students to practice English outside of class?  I really try to foster a sense of community in the classroom with the hope that students form lasting relationships.  Most of the time, I have students personalize the activities and share this information with their classmates. Students also discuss with each other the ways they study English outside of class.  They share tips in these discussions and talk about their favorite apps, internet links, books, TV shows, and other methods of studying.    I also provide suggestions and I have students set personal goals and create an action plan to obtain these goals.

AND...
8.          What nobody knew...    I love popular culture.  I enjoy theater, films, especially indies and foreign films.  I love art, travel, but the best part for me is to share these experiences with a good friend or a new friend.

9.            What is your favorite place / activity in NYC?   Hmm, this is a hard one.  I live in Brooklyn Heights and I love my neighborhood.  I love the promenade, DUMBO, Brooklyn Bridge Park, but I also like exploring all the boroughs.  Living in NYC we have the option of exploring something new almost anytime we have free time.  I recently explored a small part of Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn and found it fascinating.
Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn

10.          What are you currently working on? I’m in the process of completing a personal and organizational coaching certificate at NYU.  I’m interested in performance and educational coaching.  I recently submitted a proposal to the TESOL 2017 International Convention about using coaching techniques in the classroom as tools to learn English.  I’d love to hear from others any thoughts or questions you have on the subject.
 
At the recent 2016 International TESOL Convention in Baltimore. I co-presented with Roshi Jolly a teaching training workshop entitled: "The Ideal L2 Self: Taking Vision into the Classroom."






SHOW US THE LOVE!
One of the only ways we can know if you like what we are doing is if you make a comment on our blog page. Like our blog? Are there topics you would like us to add? Please comment! 

Would you like to contribute something? 

A link, teaching tip, other? 
Are you ready for your interview? 
Any time :)

Thank you, we really appreciate your feedback!

Have a great week!
Elizabeth & Elke

No comments:

Post a Comment