Week 8: Time/Weather
TEACHING RESOURCES
We have a ton of resources on the Wiki: ALC Wiki- Environment- including pictures, videos, texts- you should check it out!
Scroll to the bottom of this page for resources from Englishclub.com: Weather Themes
MesEnglish.Com shares weather-related flashcards here: Weather Flashcards
ESLPrintables.com has a large selection of worksheets here: Weather Worksheets
Full disclosure: here is a weather forecast from my YouTube channel, English with Elizabeth: NYC Weather Forecast. It even has a cloze- click on "show more."
And finally, we would be remiss if we didn't share The Storm from We Are New York: WANY- The Storm
GOOGLE HELP
Wondering who can see your files in Google Drive? Not sure if you shared a file? The Free Technology for Teachers website has some helpful information here: Who Has Access to My Google Drive?
PICTURES
When I was teaching, I had a collection of generic pictures I cut out of magazines. Do you do something similar? Read about what you can do with them on The Joy of ESL Blog here: Why You Should Cut Up Magazines -Elizabeth
* * * * *
and now:
A class project by Harlem students and teachers Myrna Holguin and Marina Bekkerman
Harlem Library Technology for Tomorrow
Community Contest
By Myrna Holguin
On Thursday, March
3rd, students from the Harlem Library ESOL 5-6 class held a mock Technology
for Tomorrow Community Contest similar to the television show, Shark
Tank. Students from my Harlem Library
Level 5-6 ESOL class pretended to be inventors and formed teams to help their
inventors present technological devices that would help the community. The contest was held with Marina Bekkerman’s
Harlem Library ESOL Level 3-4 class who participated as audience members, asked questions - and voted!
Students selected roles according to their
public speaking comfort level:
· Inventor
· Business
Manager
· Media
Assistant
· Office
Assistant
Students pretended it was the year 1985 and
they invented technological devices such as the laptop, tablet, GPS and
smartphone. They pretended to be from Los
Angeles, San Francisco, New York, and Washington D.C. Students worked together to help their
inventor write a speech and created a team PowerPoint to enhance their inventor’s
presentation. In addition, students from
both classes brought food and beverages for a class mixer.
The contest began at the local level, in
which teams from the East and West Coast took turns coming up to the
podium. Business Managers introduced their teams and spoke of
their inventors’ glowing backgrounds. Then
inventors explained why their invention was the best for the community and urged
the audience to vote for their device.
Mariana Moina was the business manager for
the inventor of the GPS, Roger Blaise Njikam Pepouna, from the Los Angeles
West Coast team. She was the first
person to speak at the contest. “I
felt very good introducing the team because we worked as a team, but the
nerves were strong.” Mariana admitted.
“The team encouraged me. They
said I could do it.”

“I felt a little stressed.” Roger agreed. “Its not just because they were other
students, but because saying a speech and making eye contact with people is
something difficult.” However, he still enjoyed the experience. “It helps people learn how to read a speech
to the audience and reduce our stress when we’re in front of a lot of
people,” Roger observed. “It’s never
easy at all.”
“I felt very confident in front of students
from the other class because I wanted them to appreciate my work,” said
Amadou Mfoloum, from the New York East Coast Team and inventor of the
tablet. “I was not nervous. I was really confident of myself and my
project.”
Despite some nerves, inventors and their
business managers engaged the audience, rousing wild applause and cheers as
the media assistant played the team’s PowerPoint. Afterwards, the
audience voted for the best contestants, Roger, from the West Coast and Amadou,
from the East Coast to move forward to the national level.
Upper Manhattan Intake Advisor Richard Buckley and
Student Mentor Erika Paul are impressed...
Next, students
held the class mixer and were encouraged to socialize with each other. Amadou and Roger were also encouraged to
talk with students and appeal for final votes. Then, there was a Q & A session. Intermediate
students took turns introducing themselves and asking Amadou and Roger
questions about their inventions. They had previously worked with
their teacher, Marina Bekkerman, to ask questions.
“I was nervous when somebody in the audience
called my name and asked me a question,” Roger remembered. “The speech is a little bit different
because you read something you know in advance. But answering a question, you have to use
your mind fast and you have to be smart.”
Then, the audience voted for the winner. Roger, inventor of the GPS!
Even though he didn’t win, Amadou had a
positive experience. “I felt very
comfortable with this class project because I learned a lot of things. I really like this project because it is
informative. I love the combination of
the teachers and classes because we all had fun.”
“I enjoy working with the team in the
project.” Mariana agreed. “It was
interesting and I learned new words.
It was the best experience.”
“I felt lucky because everybody was present
in my team until the end,” Roger said.
“I think it’s a good idea to mix people with different languages. It helps us to talk and listen together and
come up with one piece of writing.”
|
TEACHER DISCOUNT
On TESOL Founder's Day, the organization will offer deals on membership, professional learning, publications and the convention.
SHOW US THE LOVE
One of the only ways we can know if you like what we are doing is if you make a comment on our blog page. Like our blog? Are there topics you would like us to add? Please comment!
Would you like to contribute something? A link, teaching tip, other? Any time!
Thank you, we really appreciate your feedback!
Next week me may have another teacher interview...
Have a great week!
Elizabeth & Elke

The project created by Myrna and Marina looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing it with us. I did something similar to this with my Level 3/4 students but the project here is on a much larger scale, so it's very interesting to see how to expand on an idea.
ReplyDeleteMy students did presentations on imaginary inventions to help them learn English quickly/magically. For example, the "English Pillow." You put a book inside the pillow, sleep on it, and all of the knowledge magically transfers to your brain during the night! (The grammar focus was comparatives & superlatives.)
Thank you so much for sharing with us! We hope that more of you will share the wonderful work that you are doing with your students. Just zap us an email and let us know!
ReplyDelete