Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21, 2016

Week 9: Time/Weather



TEACHING RESOURCES

Are you familiar with Woodwardenglish.com? Lots of great resources there. Many thanks to Stacy Brower for sharing this one with us: 



A nice collection of weather resources here on the ISL Collective website: Weather Printables-  many thanks to Joanne Springstead for sharing!


GOOGLE HELP

The Free Technology for Teachers website has great information about making copies of Google Docs that aren't shared directly with you here: How to Make Copies





NYS-TESOL EVENT

You can attend an event at Hunter College on March 31, "Bilingualism to Promote English." Find out more here: NYSTESOL Event


Long Island ESOL Conference 2016

The Changing Landscape of Instruction For ELLs
Saturday, April 16, 2016
Molloy College, Rockville Centre, NY
Time: 8:00 AM-12:30 PM

Call for Proposals
Due Date: March 25, 2016
Submit your proposals online now.
  
LI ESOL Conference Information*All Sessions Will Be 45 Minutes Long*

Audiovisual Equipment:  Each classroom will be equipped with an LCD projector/screen or interactive whiteboard, PC, sound capability, and DVD player.  There will be no charge to the presenter for this equipment.

Presenter’s Registration Fee:  The registration fee will be waived for presenters.

Notification of Acceptance:  Notification regarding the status of your proposal will be emailed on or about April 1, 2016
Questions about Program Proposals:  Please contact Dr. Maria Dove by e-mail mdove@molloy.edu  



TEACHER INTERVIEW



5 Questions  for ...


              1   Where are you fro​​m and what brought you to NYC? 


I am originally from Norway, but I have lived in both England
            and Hawaii before I moved to New York City. I was drawn to the city’s diversity, its openness, and the range of different opportunities that it seems to offer everybody who are willing to work hard. Of course, meeting and falling in love with a New Yorker from the East Village did not make me less eager to move.





My Hawaiian Ohana and I

2   Have you ever taught in another country? How has that shaped you as a person and as a teacher? I think what would stand out are my view on the relative frequency of L2 usage in the language classroom, my view on the relative frequency of assessment, and my view on childhood education.

When I started teaching in Honolulu, I discovered how most of the ESL classes there were taught in English almost exclusively while as in Norway they were taught largely in Norwegian. Of course, presentations and so on would be carried out in English, but I rarely remember speaking English with my peers or teachers. I think maybe this could be why, even though most Norwegian Speakers of English have a very high level of proficiency, they tend to have very low self-esteem when it comes to actually speaking it. If I go back to Norway, I would try to minimize my use of Norwegian and encourage my students to speak English amongst themselves and to me. I must add, however, that the L1 has a place in the language classroom. Especially for beginning-level students such as the ones I am teaching at Melrose currently. Giving instructions in the L2, for instance, is very hard when your students’ proficiency level is too low to comprehend the main gist of what you are trying to say. My class consists of all Spanish Speakers of English, so I can put what Spanish I know to good use, but there is still a language barrier. The way I solved this issue was bringing more technology into the classroom. Much can be said about the accuracy of Google Translate, but if it comes to giving instructions on games and so on, Google Translate works like a charm. When needed, I type my instructions in English, they appear in both English and Spanish on the screen, and I either read it out loud to them or press the play button.

The frequency of L2 assessment, especially in higher education, also seems to vary a lot between the U.S.A. and the Scandinavian countries. In Norwegian Universities it is customary to have one summative assessment and have very few other means of assessment. It is therefore crucial that the test is reliable and that the topics discussed are equally familiar to all test takers and so on. In either case, I think, having initial assessment, several formative assessments, and one summative assessment, as is customary in the U.S.A., will provide a more accurate and reliable test score. Students with test anxiety, for instance will most definitely benefit from multiple means of assessments. 

When it comes to childhood education, there is a massive gap between the American and the Norwegian system. In Norway and the rest of Scandinavia, children do not start school till they are 6 years old, and the time they spend in barnehagen (kindergarten) is mainly devoted to self-initiated explorations. The teachers will set up classroom, materials, and explorations based on what the children are interested in, and the teachers are viewed as learners on the same line as the children. Children are believed to be curious and capable and will have the opportunity to use, for instance, power tools and knives in their explorations given that the conditions are safe. Children are also outside every day even if it is raining or snowing, and they all get healthy organic food served at barnehagen. The Finnish National Board of Education even state that they require of all preschool teachers that they hold a master’s degree.

I agree with this view on childhood education and it has not changed much since I came to the U.S.A. I think children should be given more time to develop socially and acquire the skills they need for primary school before they start learning letters and numbers that may seem both arbitrary and redundant to them. For instance, drawing is something that most any child finds amusing. It keeps them focused for long periods of time, and as their drawings develops and start to look more representative, the muscles in their hands develop to the level where they are much more capable of holding a pen and forming letters. At this point, the child is also more likely to take interest in and understand the underlying premises for writing and counting.

I do not think it is developmentally appropriate to expect children to write and read before they are six years old, but the U.S.A., and NYC in particular, is very competitive, and I do understand that parents would want to give their children a jumpstart if they can. I would like to point out, though, that Finnish childhood education has shown more efficient acquisition of both reading and writing than most other countries including the U.S.A.

On the other hand, I do for the most part think teachers in NYC seem more open-minded, enthusiastic, and have more of that drive that you want to see in a teacher’s eyes when they talk about their profession. At least that is my impression when I visit ALCs such as Tompkins Square Library.
My class at the Melrose Library (NYPL)

My Class at Brooklyn Amity School
        
            3      How do you encourage students to practice English outside of class?
By practicing it every day with the well of English speakers you can find in New York. This is something that we do not have the opportunity to do in EFL settings such as Norway where everybody speaks Norwegian rather than any other language. English is rarely even used as a Lingua Franca due to a largely homogenous population.

I also recommend that they all download some form of MALL applications for their smartphones. For instance, we provide our students with Rosetta Stone, which is highly accessible to them outside of class. It is important that we assist them in accessing this software, but I do find that it takes quite some time for some students to do this. Meanwhile, it is important that we offer the students with an alternative. I have found that Duolingo can serve this function, as it is both free and easily downloadable on any device.

I also introduced Apple’s Siri (the pre-loaded personal assistant on iPhone) along with other speech recognition software (Cortana, Google Now etc.) during our Time and Weather unit. I had students practice their pronunciation by teaching them simple functions such as asking for the time. Most of my students actually got their requests carried out even though they are all beginners.

This kind of technology is easily accessible and can make learning languages more engaging, real-life and fun. I have, for instance, been taking Mandarin classes for some time now, and I use an application called ‘Hello Chinese’ that does not rely on Internet connection whenever I commute somewhere. New York City is renown for very long commute times, and with my 14 hours of commute time per week, I am no exception.

      4      What’s your favorite place in NYC?
My favorite place in New York must be Veniero’s located at 342 East 11th Street in East Village. It is an Italian bakery that completely changed my perception of what makes good cake. Their Blood Orange Delight is to die for!

I also frequently stop by Arancini Bros for their Sicilian deep-fried rice balls with risotto filling at 120 Essex Street. The Ragu balls and Carbonara balls are my absolute favourites, and taste incredible with a Nutella ball for desert.


5 What nobody knew...

I like to play guitar, dance Irish stepdance, take my dog to the dog park at Tompkins Square Park, and knit for somebody I care about. 

Knitting is weirdly enough something everybody in Norwegian primary/secondary schools has to learn. I believe I took it a step further than most though, by having my mother teach me how to knit increasingly more difficult items. 
I am currently working on my masterpiece – a pair of traditional Norwegian mittens knitted on the smallest pins and the thinnest yarn I could find in New York.

We enjoyed reading about the Norwegian way - what do you think? 



SHOW US THE LOVE 


One of the only ways we can know if you like what we are doing is if you make a comment on our blog page. Like our blog? Are there topics you would like us to add? Please comment! 

Would you like to contribute something? A link, teaching tip, other? Any time!

Are you ready for the spotlight? Teacher interview?

Thank you, we really appreciate your feedback!

Have a great week!
Elizabeth & Elke

No comments:

Post a Comment