Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5, 2015

Dear colleagues,

Happy World Teachers' Day to all!



From Wikipedia:
World Teachers' Day, held annually on October 5 since 1994, commemorates teachers’ organizations worldwide. Its aim is to mobilize support for teachers and to ensure that the needs of future generations will continue to be met by teachers.
According to UNESCO, World Teachers' Day represents a significant token of the awarenessunderstanding and appreciation displayed for the vital contribution that teachers make to education and development. Click HERE for more...

Welcome to week 2 of our blog!

It was nice seeing some of you at last week's Literacy Review/NYU workshops.

This week we'll focus on more workshops: 
Upcoming conferences and professional development in October and November.

If you have suggestions for blog topics, please let us know. 
Comments, contributions and suggestions are welcome!

Elizabeth & Elke


How was your first week of classes?

I don't know about you, but I've always considered the first day of class easy. Most of the first day often gets taken over by administrative issues, late-arriving students, etc. I always considered the SECOND day of class the hardest. The second day was when everything calmed down and I could really roll up my sleeves and get into the nitty gritty. 
This article by Sherry Blok on blog.tesol.org talks about the first week of school, and what she chooses to focus on: an inviting classroom, creating classroom connections, and collecting student information. Click HERE  to read the full article.
Elizabeth


Article excerpt:
Click HERE to read the full article.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

UPCOMING CONFERENCES
OCTOBER


LAC & The New School Announce:
Saturday, October  24, 2015 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Picture
This one-day conference hosted by The New School in partnership with The Literacy Assistance Center provides English language teaching professionals with a space to learn from one another, share ideas, and network. Both The New School and the Literacy Assistance Center have a long tradition of excellence in the training of teachers of English to speakers of other languages. The day will consist of a plenary by a leading researcher in the field, followed by hands-on workshops to support classroom practice. There will also be panel debates exploring current challenges within the various contexts in which adults learn English.
Location: The New School AuditoriumAlvin Johnson/J.M. Kaplan  Hall 66  West 12th Street New  York, NY 10011
I will present a workshop at the LAC/New School Conference: 
"Practicing English with Songs Inside and Outside of the Classroom." 
There will be different hands-on activities and approaches for all skills (not just listening). No musical talent required :)
Elke



UPCOMING CONFERENCES
NOVEMBER

The 45th Annual NYS TESOL Conference
Emerging Global Literacies in Language and Technology
November 13-14, 2015
7:30 am - 5 pm
Crown Plaza White Plains
Link: http://ac15.nystesol.org/

This is a great event to attend if you can. There are always great workshops and freebies. The location is not difficult to get to - and that's coming from a Staten Islander! 
Elizabeth

NYS TESOL IS STILL ACCEPTING PROPOSALS FOR POSTER PRESENTATIONS!

NYS TESOL 45th Annual Conference

New Call for Poster Presentations
  • A poster presentation is a little different - you are in a hall with other presenters. People walk through and talk to you about your topic. You provide handouts and expert advice. It's a great way to enhance your resume. Here is what is required:
This year’s conference theme is Emerging Global Literacies in Language and Technology.
The deadline to submit proposals is October 5th, 2015. 
Please e-mail the following information to proposals@ac15.nystesol.org

· Full names and titles of all presenters
· Email contact information for the primary presenter
· Poster title
· A 50 word abstract describing the proposal.


2. Harlem Adult Education Conference, Friday, November 6, 2015

The Harlem Adult Education Conference IS STILL ACCEPTING PROPOSALS FOR PRESENTATIONS!
If you're interested, please email yolandarodriguez@nypl.org
Deadline: Friday, Oct 9.





PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

OCTOBER & NOVEMBER

1. NYPL Professional Development for hourly teachers:
Linking theory and practice into effective lesson planning using backward design and the WIPPEAR model. 
See Steve's (Mahoney) email sent today. Here is the link to sign up:


2. RAEN-sponsored Professional Development
The RAEN (Regional Adult Education Network) conducts professional development opportunities. Don't forget to check in with your Hub Manager if you plan to attend.

Click HERE for the link to the RAEN calendar.




WISHING YOU ALL A GREAT WEEK!


4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth and Elke,
    Congratulations on creating what looks like a chock-full-of-good-stuff blog! Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on classes and providing information regarding professional development workshops.

    To answer Elizabeth's question, my first week of classes went well. I saw some familiar faces and welcomed some new ones. The first week is a "getting to know you" week. The curriculum topic of "Personal Information" was very useful for the first week of class since I was able to create fun, interactive games where students could practice basic questions like, "What's your name?" "Where are you from?" "Where do you live?" I teach a NRS 1 class at Wakefield and a level 1-2 class at Seward Park, and both classes took to the activities really well. Overall, my students left class feeling pleased about their work during the first week. My second week thus far is shaping up to be a good one too!

    Elke, I've heard nothing but good comments about your workshop. I attended your workshop last year and was really impressed with how you made learning through song sonething tangible for classroom use. In my experience, the use of songs are often limited to teaching students a rhythm to which they can practice the pace of their speech or as a tool of memorization for acquiring new vocabulary. I found that your workshop offered specific ways to incorporate the development of listening and reading skills through easy, popular songs. My favorite technique, for example, was when I had a list of words from a particular song, and on a separate sheet of paper, I had to list the words according to the number order of when those words were sung in the song. This activity really taps into students listening to receive information, which they often have difficulty doing. This activity was a big takeaway for me when I attended the workshop last year.

    You ladies are doing a good job with the blog, and it's only your second week! Thanks again for the PD info and dates. Also, do you mind posting a link to Mango?

    May you move forward with the rest of the cycle successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth and Elke,
    Congratulations on creating what looks like a chock-full-of-good-stuff blog! Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on classes and providing information regarding professional development workshops.

    To answer Elizabeth's question, my first week of classes went well. I saw some familiar faces and welcomed some new ones. The first week is a "getting to know you" week. The curriculum topic of "Personal Information" was very useful for the first week of class since I was able to create fun, interactive games where students could practice basic questions like, "What's your name?" "Where are you from?" "Where do you live?" I teach a NRS 1 class at Wakefield and a level 1-2 class at Seward Park, and both classes took to the activities really well. Overall, my students left class feeling pleased about their work during the first week. My second week thus far is shaping up to be a good one too!

    Elke, I've heard nothing but good comments about your workshop. I attended your workshop last year and was really impressed with how you made learning through song sonething tangible for classroom use. In my experience, the use of songs are often limited to teaching students a rhythm to which they can practice the pace of their speech or as a tool of memorization for acquiring new vocabulary. I found that your workshop offered specific ways to incorporate the development of listening and reading skills through easy, popular songs. My favorite technique, for example, was when I had a list of words from a particular song, and on a separate sheet of paper, I had to list the words according to the number order of when those words were sung in the song. This activity really taps into students listening to receive information, which they often have difficulty doing. This activity was a big takeaway for me when I attended the workshop last year.

    You ladies are doing a good job with the blog, and it's only your second week! Thanks again for the PD info and dates. Also, do you mind posting a link to Mango?

    May you move forward with the rest of the cycle successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the feedback, Vanessa!

    I'm glad your first weeks in class are going well.
    We'll include Mango in the blog, on Oct 12 or Oct 19.
    Cheers,
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing what Mango has to offer!

      Delete