Week Nine
Friends & Family
TEACHING RESOURCES
Rights Group: Governments Increasing Social Media Use to Influence Elections
If you've moved on to Family and Friends, don't forget our Google Drive with resources:
NYPL Teaching Resources: Family and Friends
TEACHER READING
From Lizzie Pinard's blog Reflections of an English Language Teacher
IATEFL Webinar: What makes a good language teacher? (Carol Griffiths)
CLASSROOM SHOWCASE
Here are some pictures of Sandra Ham's Hudson Park 5/6 class. They did mini- presentations about U.S. political parties for the civics unit.
Please send me pictures, and be sure to include the branch name and level. I need them by the end of the business day on Wednesday. If I already have enough submissions for the week- that just means your pictures will be published the next week. Personally, I think the pictures that you share are the best part of the blog.
Thank you! elizabethschade@nypl.org
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT at NYS TESOL
| Look who I found! |
Elke's presentation was entitled:
Thank You for the Music: Learning Vocabulary in Context
Songs and music videos are great teaching tools. This hands-on workshop presents five dynamic activities around songs that focus on lexical chunking and incorporate four skills...
Emily Skalet's presentation was entitled:
Planning Project-Based Learning with ESOL/Literacy Students
This workshop will explore methods to create level-appropriate and authentic class projects with beginner speaks of English with limited literacy. Participants will explore community-based texts that support curriculum and assessment...
My presentation was entitled:
Providing Professional Development Differently: Via BLOG
I basically shared our blog with others! (I look like I'm enjoying myself, don't I?)
and look who else I found: our former student mentor Raju Srinivasan!
His presentation was entitled:
Preparing ELLs for the Unknown: The Unfamiliar Genre Research Project
Using a genre-based approaxh, this interactive workshop shows instructors how to implement a research project that will empower ELLs to become autonomous learners...
If you are a NYS TESOL member, you have access to ALL of the presentation materials that were uploaded here: Conference Materials
CALENDAR
JUST FOR FUN
TEACHER HUB is a weekly blog of resources and information for instructors and staff of the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and Adult Literacy (ABE) programs of the New York Public Library in the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island











No comments:
Post a Comment