Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, August 10, 2018

August 10, 2018 Free time/Hobbies

Week Three
Free Time & Hobbies

TEACHING RESOURCES

Although this isn't about our theme, I'm sure you could take the idea and run with it: 
EFL Classroom: Give Me 5

Want to do something in class with gardening? Look here: TeacherVision.com Gardening

TED Talks for language practice: Ted Talks for Language Practice

NYPL Summer Curriculum: Free Time/Hobbies



TEACHER READING


  • An interesting NY Times article shared by Roger Franz:
  • A blog post by Sandy Millin about getting (and keeping) the attention of students:



CLASSROOM SHOWCASE
New Dorp NRS 1 with Porsche Linwood


























TEACHER SHARE

Harlem, Level 5/6 with Lianne Smith:

The students read one article about improving memory, and another one on ways to organize vocabulary notebooks. The small group photos show students working to create diagrams to organize a vocabulary list.  

The class group photo is a "vocabulary mingle."  Students were tasked with choosing one new vocabulary word that they thought was interesting from the reading.   Next, they mingled with other students to tell about it.   

"A word I want to remember is ___________."    "It means __________."







From our Intake Staff:

As part of a Team Building activity, Evy and the Intake team participated in an Escape the Room activity.  I thought I'd share our photos for the Teacher blog- Yaritza
Please send me pictures, and be sure to include the branch name and level. I need them by the end of the business day on Wednesday. If I already have enough submissions for the week- that just means your pictures will be published the next week. Personally, I think the pictures that you share are the best part of the blog.

Thank you! elizabethschade@nypl.org



PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT


I'm really sorry I missed this talk by Diane Larsen Freeman at the New School University:

On July 18, a large audience gathered in the Tishman Auditorium to hear Dr. Diane Larsen-Freeman’s thoughts on “Mutual Empowerment in Challenging Times.” Dr. Larsen-Freeman is a prolific author who simultaneously holds positions at University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, and the SIT Graduate Institute. In introducing her, Professor Leo Schmitt highlighted Dr. Larsen-Freeman’s unique status as a scholar who both researches the intellectual processes of second language acquisition and thoughtfully connects them with the real-world challenges that teachers and students face.

Watch it here: DLF: Mutual Empowerment in Challenging Times


GOOGLE RESOURCES


You know I share from this blog quite a lot!
"Google Docs has a lot of features that new users often don't notice.
Some these are features that even experienced Google Docs users overlook. Some of these features will save you time, some will give you more formatting flexibility, and others will improve the way that you share your documents."
10 Overlooked Google Docs Features


Thank you for all that you do! Have a great week!

TEACHER HUB is a weekly blog of resources and information for instructors and staff of the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and Adult Literacy (ABE) programs of the New York Public Library in the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island

No comments:

Post a Comment