Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, October 27, 2017

10/27/17 Week 5: Civics





Week 5: Civics

TEACHING RESOURCES







From the VOA: 

Some U.S. presidents are better known than others. “America’s Presidents” tells each of their stories: when they lived, what they were like, how they governed, and why Americans remember them. Check them all out here: VOA Presidents Videos

From the Minnesota Literacy Council: Study for the US Citizenship Test


Beginner curriculum: This is My America Google Drive: This is My America 

This will need some updating- I wrote it when Bloomberg was still Mayor of NYC!- Elizabeth

ALC Civics Wiki (see more from Elke below)


Halloween

  


From David Fobair:

Here's a couple activities that I adapted that might be of interested for Halloween activities for NRS 3+

By the way, I'm using Edmodo this cycle again.  I've now used it every cycle.  This time I'm posting some of the activities and homework in advance or just after they are presented in class.  For reading and writing assignments it gives students a chance to prepare, refer too, and if absent see what we've done in class.

Happy halloweeeeen,
Here's a tip and an announcement from Elke:
1. iSL Collective - a really great collection of teacher-made teaching materials: https://en.islcollective.com/
Free handouts and video lessons. It's free! (If you download a lot, maybe make use of their "donate" option :)
You can also upload your own materials.

I uploaded a nice Halloween crossword puzzle from their site to our Traditions/Holidays wiki: http://alc-traditions.wikispaces.com/Halloween
It's a Word doc: page 1 in color, page 2 in black and white. Good for high beginners/intermediate. Idea for partner work: Teach "odd" and "even" numbers.
Students work with a partner. They talk about each answer. Partner A writes down odd # answers, partner B even # answers. This helps with students who tend to take over in group work.





2. On a more personal note: Meow!
I found the cutest, fastest kitten ever (see video below) and she needs a home! My cats won't let me have another one... She's five months old, has been to the vet and comes with cat bed, toys, food. If you're interested or have questions, please email me: elkestappert@nypl.org
Thanks!


Using the Library - from Marika Martin

I know we would like all our students to apply for/and use their library cards.

I have created some library vocabulary clozes and dialogues that I am willing to share.

Also, I just explored some YouTube ESL videos about libraries.

Here are 3 links:

1. At the Library, Simple English Lesson (from TwoMinuteEnglish)




2Your Library, English (from Settlement.Org Information Newcomers can Trust)



3. Omaha Public Library : Welcome to the Library with English Subtitled Version:



TECH TIPS

Google Calendar released some updates last week. If you have not already noticed these changes, you will see them very soon.

Free Tech 4 Teachers: Updates to Google Calendar

STUDENT MENTOR SPOTLIGHT



Each week, we'll get to know some of the Student Mentors who work for our program.
This week, it's Alejandro Ortega, who works in Harlem.



  1. Are you going to school? (Or, where did you go?) What do/did you major in? Do you have future educational plans?

I am currently attending LaGuardia Community College and I am majoring in  Electrical Engineering. I am planning on transferring to City College to receive  my bachelors degree.

  1. How long have you worked for the NYPL? What do you enjoy about your job?

On september 21st I will make a year working with the NYPL. I enjoy helping students in our program and working with my fellow colleagues.

  1. What’s your favorite movie of all time?

Back to the future (part 3)

  1. Do you have any pets?

No

  1. Coffee or tea?

It depends on the kind of day and weather, but I would usually go with coffee.

  1. What’s your favorite way to spend a Saturday?

I would have to say, staying at home watching movies or visiting one of the many museums in the city is my favorite way to spend a Saturday.

  1. Do you see yourself as an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Why?

I see myself as a optimistic person. I feel that in every bad situation there is always something good that can be found and that there is a solution to every problem.
  1. What’s your favorite holiday or tradition?
       My favorite holiday is Christmas. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends.
  1. What are your hobbies?
I like to collect vintage jazz vinyls, listen to music, read books, and ride my bike.
  1. What would you like to be remembered for?
I would like to be remembered as a person that achieved  his goals and set a positive  role for others to follow.



NYPL NEWS

Stream Thousands Of Great Feature Films - With your Library Card

library card.png
Including the Criterion Collection
How? Go to:
Set up a free account and enter your library card # and pin.

Also let your intermediate/advanced students know :) Some of them may not have computers, but big screen phones or tablets.
With WiFi, they can watch movies on their gadgets. (Make sure students are aware of WiFi and data streaming costs if they watch it outside of WiFi coverage)

THANKS FOR READING THE TEACHER HUB BLOG

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment