Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Adult Learning Centers, NYPL

Friday, May 12, 2017

May 12, 2017 - Week 4 Shopping


  Week 4
Shopping



Fatma's Staff Meeting Notes  from 4/28/17

Here is the objectives doc I promised y'all at the instructional staff meeting. 
Thank you, Joel Berrios! (Harlem student mentor extraordinaire)

I hope it'll make your lesson planning a tiny bit easier. Cheers, Fatma 



TEACHING RESOURCES




Following up on Angela Thompson’s 
“A Flipbook on the Fly” presentation at our 4/28/17 teacher meeting 
(click HERE to see the presentation on the teacher Wiki):


Here are four short and easy YouTube Tutorials:
        1. How to create a flipbook with FlipSnack  (use existing PDFs or jpgs)
      2.    How to edit flipbook settings in FlipSnack (existing PDFs or jpgs)
      3.    How to use the content editor in FlipSnack (existing PDFs or jpgs)
FlipSnack is free (there are upgrade versions with more features available), but you won’t need them).
If you use FlipSnack or other software, have questions or would like to share your projects on this blog, please let us know.



Need example sentences to explain vocabulary in class?
Check out this website for instant sentences:
http://sentence.yourdictionary.com
or
https://skell.sketchengine.co.uk/run.cgi/skell

Here are a few more tips:


Ventures 2 has furniture-related activities, comparatives and superlatives in the Shopping Unit.
Here are a few adjectives for intermediate/advanced levels:


* cosy (small and comfortable)
* vintage (old but valuable)
* traditional
* contemporary
* charming (apartment or "Prince Charming")
* old-fashioned
* elegant
* luxurious
* spacious
* modern
Also great to practice syllable stress and pronunciation.

Activities:
* Students look at photos of apartments online - click HERE for link to famous movie/TV apartment stills - or bring printed out photos.
Only 1/2 of students sees one photo, the other half sees a different photo.
Students describe their photos to each other, and then compare (bigger, more spacious...)

* Students describe (speaking or writing) their childhood home / current home / dream house


PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS


Would you like to be more involved in the TESOL community? 
Have you thought about going to a conference but don't know much about it?

 There are two groups for TESOL professionals that may be of interest to you. They offer many different ways to enhance your development as a professional: conferences, publications, advocacy groups, professional development and more.

NYS TESOL is an association of professionals concerned with the education of English language learners at all levels of public and private education in New York State. Our interests include classroom practices, research, program and curriculum development, employment, funding, and legislation.
For more than 50 years, TESOL International Association has been providing community to educators, researchers, administrators, and students in the ELT field. With more than 12,000 members representing 160 countries, and more than 100 worldwide affiliates, TESOL offers you the opportunity to be part of a dynamic professional community and join in TESOL’s mission to advance excellence in English language teaching
*****************************


Professional affiliations like TESOL and others can be a valuable resource for teachers. Many of you know about the annual conferences these two groups have, but both groups do so much more. They provide opportunities for teachers to network, share lessons, and learn.

Did you know: Some of your NYPL colleagues participate in these groups. Elke Stappert is the Chair of the Video and Digital Media Interest Section of TESOL (International). Elizabeth Schade is the Co-Chair of the Adult Education Interest Section for TESOL (International). Fatma Ghailan is the Teacher Education Interest Section Newsletter Editor and she is active in NYS TESOL.

Both groups have interest sections such as the ones listed above that you can join. For example, if you are interested in publishing some of your lessons or material, why not join the MWIS of TESOL, the Material Writers section. You could network with people who are interested or who have even published already.

This is TESOL page might be useful: Why Should I Join TESOL?

Both organizations have newsletters and publications that are interesting and useful. Each Interest Group of TESOL has its own newsletter. 
The organization also has: 


  • TESOL Connections: Monthly electronic newsletter with feature articles on current topics, interviews with thought leaders, job listings, and other important information.



  • TESOL Journal: Quarterly online journal that publishes articles for TESOL practitioners. Articles are available online at your convenience.



  • English Language Bulletin: Weekly news brief that keeps you abreast fo what's happening in the field worldwide.


  • NYS TESOL has its own publications, Idiom and the NYS TESOL Journal:

    Finally, you can connect to many of the organizations - without even being a member- on social media. Here is a partial list below: 

    Facebook: Adult Education Interest Section - TESOL

    Facebook: TESOL CALL Interest Group

    Facebook: Second Language Writing Interest Section- TESOL

    Facebook: Video and Digital Media Interest Group TESOL

    Facebook: Teacher Education TESOL Interest Group

    NYS TESOL: List of Special Interest Groups

    NYS TESOL: Email Discussion Groups





    Symphony Space’s “All Write!” 2017

    Below please find a list of student writing / NYPL’s winners!
    * morning and evening programs

    Click HERE for more information about the yearly “All Write” program
    .
    Aguilar
    Colette Hughes
    Mamadou Gumaneh
    Vacuuming
    Aguilar
    Colette Hughes
    John Douglas
    Better to Beg than to Steal
    Bronx Library Center
    Sarah Hidalgo
    Maria Rodriguez
    Grandma Esperanza
    Bronx Library Center
    Barbara Martinez
    Mervon Griffith
    The Oval Portrait,
    Homage to Edgar Allan Poe
    Bronx Library Center
    Barbara Martinez
    Lewe Atioukpe
    My Life Story, One Little Memory
    Harlem
    Myrna Holguin
    Archil Ghonghadze
    My Pine Tree
    Harlem
    Elke Stappert
    Bakouan Kisito
    A Time to Leave and
    A Time to Remember
    Harlem
    Elke Stappert
    Cholil Mahmud
    I was a Midnight Dad
    Harlem
    Elke Stappert
    Yumi Iwasawa
    The Package that
    my Mother-in-law Sent
    Kingsbridge
    Diana Vayserfirova
    Qiao Bing (Nancy) Zhu
    I Will Never Stereotype Again
    Kips Bay
    Michele Persaud
    Annabel Maher
    The Little Girl with a Big Heart
    Morris Park
    Daniel Littman
    Naomi Kurosu
    My Favorite Place in New York City
    Riverdale
    Diana Vayserfirova
    Polina Voronovitskaya
    The Importance of Pronunciation
    Seward Park
    Ivana Ferguson
    Anna Chan
    15th Birthday
    Seward Park
    Jean Choi
    Zoya Lavrova
    Ice Cream
    Seward Park
    Terry Sheehan
    Carol Darius
    I Am Awake
    Seward Park
    Terry Sheehan
    Dipu Sultan Topader
    Sad Day
    Seward Park
    Terry Sheehan
    John Elmore
    A Young Man's Journey US
    Seward Park
    Terry Sheehan
    Jenny Foong
    My Daily Life in New York City
    St. Agnes
    Jorina Laurin
    Alessandro Lima Braga
    Stereotype
    St. Agnes
    Jorina Laurin
    Victor Shaw
    Stereotyped
    Tompkins Square
    Katherine Bonn
    Hidetake Takamaya
    My Name Is...?
    Tompkins Square
    Katherine Bonn
    Sangmi (Anne) Kim
    Ladies First! Gentlemen First!
    Tompkins Square
    Terry Sheehan
    Henderickson George
    My Home Town
    Tompkins Square
    Terry Sheehan
    Anthony Henry
    A Joyful Life
    Tompkins Square
    Terry Sheehan
    Gilmore Bose
    The Angel
    Wakefield
    Carol Halebian
    Belquis Perez
    My Brother Is Still Alive



    Last week we included a poem by Harlem student Cholil Mahmud, 
    this week we have student writing from Lower Manhattan student Gilmore Bose, below. We'll add more writing to the student writing Wiki next week.



    THE ANGEL
    By Tompkins Square ALC student Gilmore Bose

    I found an angel. Her name is Tompkins Square Library.
    Some people look at the library and see a building, but not me.  I see a beautiful angel and she holds you with her wings.
    Anybody, yes, anybody, is welcome.
    I found the library at a dark time in my life. I wanted to better myself.
    I have nieces and I wanted to read to them.

    I have a long train ride and then I walk to get to the library. As I’m coming down the block, I look forward to getting to the library. The atmosphere is radiant there. I forget about any troubles going on once I arrive. I leave the darkness at the door.
    I feel calm there.
    I feel warm and protected and I focus on the potential in me, the part of me that people don’t always see.
    It’s there, but it needs to be brought out.
    And the angel does this.

    Whoever you are,
    Wherever you’re from,
    Let the angel embrace you.


    Here are some photos from yesterday’s evening program.
    Sorry we didn't catch everybody!
     
    Tompkins Square ALC students Gilmore Bose and Anthony Henry

    Lower Manhattan ALC: proud students

    Harlem in the house: Adele, Elke, Yumi, Kisito, Cholil

    Kisito on stage, after the reading
    Madeline Cohen, Education Director, Symphony Space





    -         -        -       -       -       -       -        -          -        -       -       -       -       -     
    If you have photos from NYU’s Literacy Review Dinner and Reading, 
    please share J



    No comments:

    Post a Comment